Friday, January 8, 2010

Blizzard Authenticator / Flipping Epics

I just ordered a Blizzard Authenticator. I figured it was time. I've played WoW since release and have never had my account hacked, but I've never had so much gold on an account and I'm starting to feel a little paranoid about it. The added security is good piece of mind for $6.50. It is something I do recommend if your account holds any value. Gear is easy to restore but I do not know what Blizzard does about gold loss.

In other news, I'm back over 210k. Not bad considering I started the week at 68k! The big boost is partly due to the sell off of Primordial Saronite I bought, I've sold off 23 of the 28 I bought so far, so that accounts for about 55k of income this week. I have managed to turn a profit on it in the process. The most I paid per Primordial Saronite was 2.1k, but I did manage to snag some up at 1.8-2k as well. The range I've sold it off at is 2.4k to 2.6k, so it's a pretty decent profit considering it wasn't my original intention.

A big part of my weekly profit are some amazing deals I scored on uncut epic gems. A guildie sold me 20 Cardinal Rubies and 41 Ametrine for 6700g. I also have bought a ton of epic gems for a similar price from late night posters in trade. I bought 100 epic gems or so of various color for 110g each off one guy. I think the guy was selling off inventory from an account (or accounts) he hacked or something, I'm not really sure. Good epic cuts go for 200-250g on my server so I am basically doubling the amount I purchased them all for, if not more.

Battered Hilts are still pretty good flips, I managed to snag one in trade chat for 8.5k and I resold it for 16k a few days later. I've never been big on flipping epics until the GDKP runs and 3.3 release. It's been a pretty nice source of income to add to the usual profession based methods. I like to compare profession based methods to full time jobs, where you are basically grinding out gold and epic flipping to the stock market. There is some risk of a loss if you aren't careful but if you are smart about it there can be a lot of earning potential.

I actually experimented with this recently. I have a pretty solid AH scan sample through Auctioneer over the past month. The experiment consisted of searching for all level 80 epics on the AH, and see which ones are up for a relatively low percentage of their market value (30-80%). I ended up spending about 35k gold on various epics in the 50-80% range and it's paid off quite nicely. There is one thing I learned quickly though, it's all about patience. It's unlikely you will spend 30k on BOE epics and flip them all by the next day for 60k. I still have about 15k in epics I'm still trying to move, but they are basically pure profit as I have already moved the rest of them at a much larger price. I've made back my original 35k and then some.

Gold making can really become an obsession when you start becoming successful at it. You look at trade chat in a whole new light and jump on just about any deal you can spot. It can really add a whole new aspect to the game, just like PVE and PVP.

If I don't pickup anything in the GDKP tomorrow, there's a chance I might even hit 300k by this coming Monday. That would be a pretty good week if you ask me, going from 68k to 300k. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment