Thursday, December 3, 2009

Compromised Account Inventory - To buy or not to buy

There was certainly an interesting end to last night. Since I logged on last night everything was going as it usually does, auctions were selling, I picked up a few good deals in trade chat, etc... Then, as I was literally 1 minute from logging off for the night, someone advertised in trade chat that they were selling a bunch of uncut epic gems at 80g a piece. I naturally jumped on it right away and bought ~10 Cardinal Rubies, Dreadstones, King's Amber and Ametrine all at 80g each. It's an awesome deal on my server as uncut gems usually go for 130-160g.

I asked the guy if he had anything else for sale. All of a sudden he opened trade and started putting really random items in like 10 Arctic Fur, a rare pet, 20 Abyss Crystals, 20 Flasks of Endless Rage etc... then he would give me a price. The price he gave was about half of what the stuff actually worth so that led me to believe the account was hacked and he was unloading inventory. I've encountered this in the past a few times. Back in the TBC era I bought over 40k worth of uncut epic gem inventory from what at the time was a hacked account (or someone impersonating as an officer and got wrongly promoted) unloading one of the top PVE guild's bank. I snatched up all of it at about 1/3rd the market price.

I ended up buying out that guy's entire inventory and it cost about 15k. I talked the guy down a little more because I knew he was in a hurry to unload everything. My view on this is that someone will buy out everything and make a bunch off it (my competition), so why not me? Does this mean that I am going to intentionally buy stolen goods in real life? No. Why? Consequences.

If someone was performing a huge sell-off from a hacked account or something similar, would you still jump at the chance to buy it all out at a huge discount? I think the goblin in all of us would.

No comments:

Post a Comment